“So many goals at first seem impossible. And then they seem improbable. And then when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.” – Christopher Reeve
Our most immediate future goal is an expansion of our Peru PADS Shelter. Currently the shelter is able to house 24 clients in separated areas – male and female.
To better serve the area’s homeless we recognize the need for changes in our physical structure. Specifically, we need to accomplish the following:
- Provide family rooms
- so that family units consisting of both a father and mother are not separated when residing with us
- to better accommodate the fastest growing group of homeless people throughout the country – families with children
- to improve the safety and privacy of the growing number of children residing in the shelter
- Increase the capacity to serve more people
- As we have had a significant increase in the number of individuals served in the Peru shelter
- And to accommodate any overflow from the Ottawa shelter
- While providing enough space, laundry facilities, and restroom facilities to promote safety and health
- Provide larger classroom space
- To offer classes such as budgeting, life skills, computers, parenting, and reflections for an increased number of clients
- To offer a better space for volunteer groups to provide Bible study and for support groups
- To have a quiet place for students to complete their homework and study
- To have the opportunity to expand our programs and classes in the future
Watch here for updates, progress reports, and photos of the development of the expansion.
Another way that our organization could improve the services we provide to the homeless is to increase the length of the season that we serve. Current funding allows our two shelters – Ottawa and Peru – to remain open for 9 months of the year. The shelters are open and staffed from September 1st through May 31st.
Our goal is to increase the season by 4 weeks, specifically to open 2 weeks earlier and close 2 weeks later. The additional time will allow
- IV PADS to serve more people in need
- Rely less heavily on other shelters and service agencies to care for individuals when we are closed
- Allow homeless families with children to declare a residence prior to the first day of school to avoid delayed starts due to paperwork and transportation issues
- Allow clients additional time to search for and secure housing and to move out at the end of the season to decrease the chances they will need to move to another shelter
- To lessen the chances that children will have to move away before the completion of the school year
To support IV PADS as we take on this major project, you can make a donation here.